From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 8:46 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: deck collapse

Davis Parsons wrote:

. > At 11:00 AM, NPR reported that the owner of the property did not get a
. > building permit for any work on the deck and I will bet that there
wasn't
. > any engineering design performed either.

And clients wonder why I insist that building permits be obtained for work
that I do.

I had one call where the person stated that he wanted something designed so
that it would be safe, but not to code.

I tried to explain to him that the Code defines a *minimum* level of safety,

but I don't think that he believed me.

I have had contractors state that factors of safety are "fudge factors" in
order to overdesign a structure, which shows that they don't understand what

a "safety factor" is for.

The online version of the Chicago Tribune stated that the building owner was

on a canoe trip in Canada and couldn't be reached.  Well, maybe he was
paddling his own canoe, but it seems that is what he also had done with his
building.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona