RE: deck collapse

>Believe it or not, there is a group of victim's families that believes this.
>They claim that the steel was hauled away "fast" to eliminate "the
>evidence".
If it were an attempt to eliminate evidence, it wouldn't be the first
time that ever happened. It also wouldn't be the first time that someone
figured he was avoiding a lawsuit by disposing of the remains, whether or
not he believed he was at fault. And it wouldn't be the first time that
someone figured all those remains were just bad for business or attracted
'the wrong sort.' I see it all the time in mechanical failures. In fact
what they're really doing is playing into plaintiff counsel's hands

You also see a fair amount of 'clean-ups' arising out of ignorance of
what's to be learned from such a failure or simply not wanting to think
about unpleasant things. The fact that the owner is 'on a canoe trip'
really is pretty sleazy. People like that are just asking for trouble,
and I don't care much if that's what they get. Moreover, if the story
about not having a permit to build the deck is true, the owner needs to
be brought up short. My own theory is that litigation is fuelled every
bit as much by arrogant defendants looking to evade responsibility as by
greedy plaintiffs looking to cash in an momentarty stupidity.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw