Re: deck collapse, part IX

>It just bothers me to see the jump to conclude guilt when supposely one of
>our "prime directives" in our way of life is innocent until proven guilty.
I'm quibbling, but I think the distinction is important--the presumption
of innocence is the basis for the process of conviction of a crime, not a
prime directive. It means that the state has the burden of proving guilt
in a criminal trial and conversely that a defendant does not need to
prove his innocence. Presumption of innocence doesn't preclude suspicion
or actions by legally constituted authority based on reasonable cause. If
that were the case, no one could ever be arrested or arraigned by a grand
jury.

It's fair to add that I feel the same way as Scott regarding the Star
Chamber proceedings in the name of national security. People who tell me
that curtailing rights in order to preserve them make me vous. I was
brought up believing that only the bad guys do that.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw