From: Chris Banbury [mailto:cbanbury(--nospam--at)nicholson-engineering.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 7:32 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: CMU Site tolerances

ACI 530.1-99 3.3G "Specification for Masonry Structures" specifies a maximum 3/4" deviation from the specified dimension indicated in plan view.  However the commentary states that this is not to be applied to situations where masonry extends past floor slabs.  Any suggestions on how to deal with this situation?

We have been asked to propose remedial action on a single story, partially grouted, reinforced masonry, hip truss roof, 8' ceiling residence, in 120mph exposure B wind zone (currently under construction). In the garage area the base of the wall is nearly 1.5" past the edge of the monolithic concrete foundation for the entire length of the wall (~24').  It appears as if the mason attempted to build the wall to plan over a foundation that was 1.5" too short.  Of course the engineer was not notified until after the contractor failed masonry inspection.

We've considered modifying the foundation, fully grouting the remaining cells, and of course we have considered recommending demolition.

Thanx in advance for entertaining the ridiculous.

Christopher A. Banbury, PE
Vice President
Nicholson Engineering Associates, Inc.
PO Box 12230, Brooksville, FL 34603
7468 Horse Lake RD, Brooksville, FL 34601
(352) 799-0170 (o)         (352) 754-9167 (f)
www.nicholson-engineering.com