Re: CMU Site tolerances

Chris,

First, I would assume that the commentary of the MSJC is referring to when
you run a masonry wall past a SUPPORTED floor, but no necessarily at grade
level.  But, then I have not taken to time to read the actual passage so I
am speculating purely on what you have said.

The more important thing is that from what you said in your post, it would
appear the tolerance issue is a concrete issue, not a masonry issue.  From
you post, you seem to be saiding that the foundation guy screwed up the
concrete but that masonry guy put the masonry more or less exactly where
it was supposed to go per the plans.  If so, then the beef is potentially
with the concrete.  I say potentially because it then becomes an issue of
what tolerances were required for the concrete per the contract
specifications as ACI 318 does not really provide required tolerances (at
least that I recall).  This means that the contract specs would have to
outline required concrete tolerances, which could be done by referencing
ACI 117.  Thus, you may wish to be careful about suggesting something like
demolition, especially if you were the designing engineer (you did not
really say...but the unintended implication of such was there) since if
concrete tolerances were outlined in the spec the design engineer could be
eating it here.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI