Re: deck collapse, part IX

>Ah, but supposedly there may be a crime here in this case.
I'd be willing to bet that no criminal charges will ever be filed. First,
damages aren't considered in criminal procedings, so there's no pay-off.
Even if criminal behavior were involved, the standard of proof (including
presumption of innocence and proof beyond a reasonable doubt) is so much
greater that it wouldn't make sense to pursue unless the event involved
the most egregious evidence. I doubt that it would be possible even to
make a case for malicious intent.

> that would in essence means that you would
>likely have just disqualified yourself from the jury pool.
I would have been disqualified from the jury pool for several reasons,
chief of which would be my expert witness background. Engineers don't
make very good jurors for a number of reasons.

>But, then that is just what I believe and I am also just a naive, smuck.  ;-)
Not at all--for all practical purposes, I believe the same thing, but it
doesn't keep me from recognizing patterns.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw