From: Ben Yousefi [mailto:Ben-Yousefi(--nospam--at)ci.santa-monica.ca.us]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 12:37 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: NFPA 5000 Backdoor

Remember the old adage: Follow the Money

The Uniform Plumbing  and Mechanical Codes are written by IAPMO
(International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials). They
generate a lot of money by selling these codes and related documents. Once
the jurisdictions adopt the I codes, along with it would come the IPC, IMC,
etc. Hence no more revenues for the IAPMO.

This is a nutshell explanation. Of course there were many other issues such
as personalities and the way the original dealings were handles between the
ICC and the IAPMO that didn't help the process.

Ben Yousefi, SE
Santa Monica, CA

>>> MJSLAYSMAN(--nospam--at)aol.com 07/07/03 11:23AM >>>
The City of Phoenix is in the process of implementing the NFPA 5000 Code.
There was a considerable push from P.I.P.E. (the pipe trades people).  I do
not
understand how or why the unions would want one code over another.  I have
not
been able to get an answer to this question even from the union people nor
have I seen any evidence that the NFPA codes will make buildings any safer,
easier to design or build or are more economical that the UBC (or I codes).

Anyone have any answers.

Mel Slaysman

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.