Re: Plan Irregularity Type 5

With SRSS you analyze the building in two orthogonal directions, and for each member that is part of LRFS in both directions, the demand is determined by taking the square root of sum of squares of forces determined for each direction. Normally, with most major 3D software this is done automatically.

HTH

Ben Yousefi, SE
Santa Monica, CA

>>> lrhauer(--nospam--at)earthlink.net 07/08/03 07:02AM >>>
I am engineering a wood framed building which has an exterior wall at about a 30 degree angle to the Y-Y axis, and therefore has a Plan Irregularity Type 5 of Table 16-M, (GÇÖ97 UBC). Table 16-M refers to Section 1633.1 requirements for the lateral design and the option of adding 30% of the design forces in the opposite direction GÇ£seemsGÇ¥ straight forward enough, but I donGÇÖt know how to apply the GÇ£SRSSGÇ¥ method as an option. Can anyone explain how the GÇ£SRSSGÇ¥ method is used or refer me to some design examples?

Thanks in advance.

Larry Hauer, SE