steel stress

In the following document, in mentions a removal of the allowable stress
increase of 1.33 being removed for wind and seismic. So am I interpreting
this correctly as having been removed? It does not usually control my design
but I have always thought the 1.33 increase was still in effect. I guess
this is related to studies showing that steel does NOT exhibit an increase
in steel strength when loaded for shorter periods of time (all that I
learned in school , down the drain :)  ).

Supplement No. 1 to the
Specification for Structural Steel Buildings
Allowable Stress Design and Plastic Design
(June 1, 1989)
Approved by the
AISC Committee on Specifications and
issued by the AISC Board of Directors
December 17, 2001

On that note, at a recent Simpson Strong Tie Seminar in Jacksonville, FL, we
were briefed as to changes in the Florida Building Code no longer allowing
the 1.33 increase design for materials OTHER then wood, masonry, or shutters
and their fasteners. It eliminates using the increase for steel. The good
thing for Simpson and those of us who use them and similar connections, is
that very few of these type of connections are goverened by steel strength.
They are in the case of roof truss tie downs, usually goverened by the nail
connection in the wood. Cleverly, for those that are goverened by the strap
themselves, they have decreased the total number of nails to be used to
match the strength of the strap. This went into effect June 30, 2003, so all
of us who design in FL should make the switch. They have modified tables and
will gladly ship you a catalog free.

Now get this California guys- you wanna really see something screwy and
political about codes- the increase does NOT AFFECT the High Velocity
Hurricane Zone (Broward and Dade Counties in S FL). Yep, the steel knows
that it is in Miami and it picks up the pace and gets 133% stronger. No
political backdealings there. So in the highest of all wind load zones, they
are going to be LESS CONSERVATIVE????? Splain that one.

Also, if you have never attended a Simpson Seminar, either for chemical
adhesives, wind design, or connection design, they are excellent. They are
conducted in Jacksonville, FL and in Mckinney , TX. They will actually help
you out with transpo and hotel costs. If you use their product you cannot
miss their classes. (No I do not work for simpson or recieve a commission.)

Last thing, I just got a flyer for a course- "IBC Structural/ Seismic Short
Course", being offered at The Citadel in Charleston, SC. It is sponsored by
ASCE and has a full morning of Chapter 16 provisions, then LFRD, then the
next day AISC and ACI. So has anyone ever taken this course or know anything
about it? We primarily do work in the SE but that includes the seismic
regions of S.C., so I think this would be a great beginner course for
learning the IBC and seismic. I just would like to know more about it to
justify the time and cost of it to my boss...

Thanks,

Andrew Kester, EI
Longwood, FL