Re: Mom. Inertia for Concrete

Rich,

The only provision that I can recall (and find) in the ACI code is section
9.5.2.3 (in the 2002 edition).  This provision provides a formula for
determining the effective moment of inertia based upon Ig, Icr, Mcr, and
Ma.

The recommendations that you are refering to come from a paper in the ACI
Journal or an SP (at least from what I recall).  I don't recall the SP
number but the company that I used to work for bought it when I was doing
some equivalent frame analysis of some existing concrete frames for new
lateral loads.  Basically, if I recall correctly, the approximate values
where basically derived based upon "typical" situations when using the
formula from the ACI code.

Sorry I could not be more help.

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI