Re: Favorite Calculator Bites the Dust

>And then to read their "spin" on calculators for 2003/RPN calculators makes
>one want to vomit.
I'm inclined to agree, but maybe we should cut Valdez a little slack. I
hated my HP 48G+ for a while because it wasn't my HP 67 (still enshrined
under my book case) but I think the 48 is a real improvement. Of course I
wouldn't be saying that if it didn't use RPN, but the tone of the page is
that they're keeping RPN at least. And I just stumbled onto the way to
fix what I thought was a a bad display on HP 48 #2. There was this awful
shadow over the screen when I bought it, but I was desperate and thought
I could live with it (last HP 48 at the UM bookstore). Turns out it's the
contrast The web page said press <ON> and <+> to darken it; press <ON>
and <-> to lighten it. A couple of key presses and the display looks
exactly like HP 48 #1. Hallelujah! So I'm feeling better and inclined to
give HP some time.

I've been through this with my Mac and the Mac has not only weathered the
storm but prospered. I have an OS X laptop which runs UNIX and compiles C
and C++. Maybe someday I'll be forced to endure Windows but not for a
while. A lot of things could happen between now and some day. Microsoft
could go belly up; I could go belly up; ANSYS Inc could come to its
senses or--who knows--maybe I _can_ find a good, solid FEA program to
compile and run under BSD UNIX.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw