Re: Sealing of As-Builts

Mike,

When I have been asked to provide as-builts, I have asked [and received authorization] to, instead, provide a record document of the instructions I gave to the contractor during construction.  This documentation can be referenced from a marked-up set of the original construction documents so that revisions to accommodate discovered conditions, design changes, construction errors, etc. are included in a single final set of drawings.

This has always been accepted based on my explanation that I cannot assume the contractor's responsibility.  The contractor is responsible to the owner to comply with the construction documents; the contractor is the only one able to document what was actually built.  As-builts, if required, should be the responsibility of the contractor, and the responsibility should be assigned as part of the original contract -- it should not be a surprise request at the end of the construction phase.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net