Re: Who needs scientific calculators now?

For me I guess it's a factor of when I needed it and what I needed to do as a student.

Taking all the calculus and linear algebra and statistics in college required me to have a hand held that could graph equations, solve matrixes, and solve equations.  Plus I have grown to love having 4 lines to view the stack and swap between them.

Since leaving college and working for an SE firm I've learned I spend a lot of time on the computer and so when I get to do hand calc's I prefer to not be referencing the computer if I don't have to.  Obviously, if there is a lot of repetition in calc's I'll set it up in excel and go to town on it.

It boils down to what we prefer to do and how it fits into our uses.  Plus, when I take the PE, I'm not going in with a 4 function calculator.  When I took the EIT I did most of it pretty fast but when I had spare time at the end I would go back and verify my answers with the calculator to make sure I didn't screw things up.