Coped Steel beam Connections

AISC LRFD 3rd edition talks about connection strengths for flexural
yielding, flexural rupture, and local buckling on page 9-4 through 9-9
for coped beams.  Snet is used in all of the calculations for each of
these limit states.  On page 9-4, it talks about Snet is conservatively
used for flexural yielding.  My question is as follows:  Is it
permissible to use the plastic section modulus Znet instead for all
these limit states or just for flexural yielding?  Was this used because
it is a carry-over from Appendix B of volume II of ASD 9th, or is there
some other reason to use this conservative value?

Zachary C. Goswick, P.E.
Structural Engineer
Angus-Young Associates, Inc.
555 South River Street
Janesville, WI  53548
Phone: (608)756-2326
Fax: (608)756-0464
Email: zachg(--nospam--at)angusyoung.com