Re: Elevated Structural Floor Slab Joint

Dear Roger,

Construction joints are points of possible weakness.

Consider  2 scenarios

1. In case of weakness at a section where there is moment, the steel will
still take the tension, while concrete being in compression will still be
able to transfer the compressive forces from one side of the joint to the
other, so effectively the joint is still capable of transferring the moment.
Secondly the moments have a tendency to redistribute too.

2. In case of weakness at a section where there is shear, the joint is in
the plane of shear failure, and in a RCC slab, there are no mechanisms
present for transfer of shear from one side of the joint to the other except
through the monolithicity of concrete. Also shear does not redistribute.

What do others think?

Regards

Pankaj Gupta
Structures Online