Re: Who needs scientific calculators now

Chuck Utzman is absolutely correct regarding RPN.  When I got my first RPN
calculator, an HP-35 ($350, 1 memory location, 4 position stack, with only
one showing, and a dim diode display), I don't think that it took me more
than 5 minutes to recognize the advantages of RPN.

I was working on a small bridge widening project at that time.  The bridge
was over a curved, concrete lined, Corps of Engineers designed drainage
channel.  This meant that the span on one side of the roadway had to be
greater than the span on the other side.  The built-in trig functions made
these hand calculations a snap, paying for the calculator the first day it
was used.

My next calculator, the HP-67, is my favorite to date.  I think that any
entrepreneur would make a small fortune by reproducing this calculator.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Aridzona

Chuck Utzman wrote:

. > We went to the moon & back with slide rules & adding machines; I
. > resisted RPN for 20 years. But Christopher is correct IMHO; HP's RPN is
. > joy (& time saver) to use. Do yourself a favor & try it.
. > C. Utzman, P.E.