Re: Who needs scientific calculators now?

>Who needs such advanced calculators any more?
I, for one. I don't always have my computer along, and I don't always
have the reference material handy to convert units. If I have a stack of
drawings to convert from feet and inches to inches, a 3 line program is a
trivial matter to write and use while the drawings are spread out on a
work table. I've been in situations where I'm asked to do parallel axis
arithmetic or check test results on the fly and a programmable calculator
is just the thing. The HP 48 has some very useful solver routines for
coming up with zeroes of functions, too. I could program them with Excel,
but there's no point bothering.

I use Excel when I need to do the same operation enough times to do a
worksheet or when I need to format or record the results or include them
in a report. Plotting is better with Excel.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw