From: "Kestner, James W." <jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com>
To: "SEAINT" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 11:04 AM
Subject: Mixing Bolt Diameters

I am reviewing some shop drawings right now where the fabricator's engineer
has designed some end plate connections with a combination of 1" and 1 1/4"
diameter bolts. Even though all those bolts are slip critical, I don't like
mixing bolt sizes.

Does AISC have any requirements with regard to mixing bolt sizes in the same
connection? I know there are restrictions about mixing bearing, slip
critical and welds in the same connection but what about different sizes?

Jim K.