RE: BOLT TORQUE/TENSION RELATIONSHIP

>Torque wrenches CAN work reasonably well inside a machine manufacturing
>facility where all of the bolts have no burrs, have no corrosion, and have a
>nice coating of lubricant.
Absolutely. When you're assembling an engine or a pump, you can clean
everything, chase the threads, apply lubricant according to the
directions and tighten it down from a convenient position. The items to
be bolted are clean, usually machined and surfaced so such things as
gaskets will work. Outdoors on a building or bridge structure it's a lot
different. Even leaving out the butterflies I get in high places, I can't
imagine how guys can weld up there in the wind, let alone torque bolts.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw