From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 11:18 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Quonset Huts

Sharon,

A number of years ago, I was involved in using Quonset hut ribs for a dome
building.  The client had the ribs, and the producer's name was rolled into
the web along with the heat number.  I was able to call the producer and get
the mechanical, physical and chemical properties orally, but they would not
put them in writing.

The producer, in my case, was U. S. Steel's Geneva Works, which is no more.

You may be able to get an Army or Navy manual that may give an indication of
the capacity when used in a conventional manner.  But, it should be kept in
mind that Quonset huts were intended for temporary shelter of troops during
WW2 and were definitely expendable.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Aridzona

Sharon Robertson wrote:

. > Has anyone attempted to re-engineer / retrofit an old Quonset hut to
. > current codes?  Particularly, I have a couple of the larger 100' x 40"
. > models