RE: Shear Key in Basement walls

Sometimes I spout off a little too soon.  The first time I read you posting
I thought you were asking about a shear between the footing and the wall.
Many people design walls with a 2x4 or 2x6 keyway between the wall and the
footing for shear transfer.  I thought you were trying to eliminate this
from your design.

Now trying to answer your real question, let me make a few more assumptions.
  EFP of soil: 45 PCF
  N.W. concrete: f`c=2500 psi

With a 9' wall and no top support, your bottom reaction is
45*(1/2)(9^2)=1823 plf

stress on the slab between walls assuming they push against each other:
	=1823/(12*5) = 30.4 psi = .012 f`c

Different sections of ACI have different limits on when you can ignore axial
load in elements.  For example, in walls if axial stress is below 0.05f`c
you include it for P-delta but can "ignore" the effects of compression on
the wall.  All you really check is bending.  I would argue the stress is low
enough you can ignore its effects and check the slab for bending.  Your slab
is on grade, therefore no bending (and deflection), therefore no issue.
Gravity pushes down and holds the slab against the ground.  It could
potentially still buckle up, but it seems like a long shot to me.

As an alternate, you could call the slab a diaphragm and dowel it to the
side walls.  Use the sidewall mass and the mass of the slab itself to resist
any un-balanced loading.  Never seen this done, but there is a first time
for everything.

This is a *very* liberal interpretation, but one that can be supported by
experience.  I don't recall ever reading a story where the basement slab has
failed in compression.  That said, I believe if you call the slab on grade a
structural element, there are other minimums to consider.  Minimum
reinforcement etc.

In short, I wouldn't lose site of the forest from the trees.  You are
correct to worry about a 100' long wall rotating and possibly sliding if
they backfill without a slab or a floor diaphragm.  If you have resolved
rotation through a footing, the slab should easily handle the sliding.

Sorry for the original confusion,

Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT