From: Kestner, James W. [mailto:jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 12:04 PM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Mixing Bolt Diameters

I am reviewing some shop drawings right now where the fabricator's engineer has designed some end plate connections with a combination of 1" and 1 1/4" diameter bolts. Even though all those bolts are slip critical, I don't like mixing bolt sizes.

Does AISC have any requirements with regard to mixing bolt sizes in the same connection? I know there are restrictions about mixing bearing, slip critical and welds in the same connection but what about different sizes?

Jim K.

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org