Roof Rafter Spans.

This may be a supid question but.....

I'm looking a residencial roof previously designed using convential framing requirements in accordance with the UBC.  The  tables that are in the code provide allowable spans for roof rafters.  My question is, are these spans the actual length of the roof rafter between supports (i..e the slope length) or are they the horizontal distance between supports? The roof is pitched at an 8 on 12 so, depending on how your interpret it, there can be a variation of around 20% in the allowable rafter span.

Thanks for any help.

Tim Spengler PE, SE
Allstructure Engineering LLC
1125 Royal Ct.