Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2003 11:05 AM
Subject: RE: APPENDIX D - ANCHORING TO CONCRETE

It looks like you are reading the provision correctly from what I can see.  Appendix D is basically for situations where there is no reinforcing in the shear cone.  When you have reinforcing in the shear cone, you can design the reinforcing to carry the forces from the shear cone and hence your bolts.  I personally would run the bolts into the pier long enough to transfer the forces to the rebar and not get too excited about Appendix D.

I do agree that longer bolts should be stronger, this may be a side effect not foreseen by the code-writers.

HTH,

Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT