AISC "Chevron bracing in..." shear lag question

AISC has an article on their web site with tips for preliminary design
of chevron bracing in low rise buildings:

http://www.aisc.org/Template.cfm?Section=Steel_Tools&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=3448

In this article, where tube braces are slotted and welded to a gusset
plate, the article says that if the weld length is >= 1.3 x the tube
width (distance between the welds), the shear lag reduction coefficient
U = 1.0.  The article lists AISC Specification section B3 as the
reference for this.

I can't see anywhere in section B3 of the LRFD 3rd edition where this
1.3 factor comes from.  It appears to me that this connection would fall
under subsection (2)(b), in which case the maximum possible U = 0.9.

Can anyone explain where the 1.3 comes from?

Rick Burch
Columbia, SC