RE: double angle conn

Title: double angle conn

My interpretation is that AISC in Chapter J says that welds and bolts can only share load if the bolts are slip critical.  I would consider this condition falling exactly under that limitation since they share the beam reaction.  The weld must carry the entire load (and hence the clip angle which is welded also) unless you can make the bolts slip critical.

-----Original Message-----
From: JEFF CORONADO [mailto:jcse(--nospam--at)flash.net]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 12:09 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: double angle conn

Brian,

The 1/16th inch gap in the bolt hole will make all the difference in where the load goes.  Since there is no slack in the weld, 100% of the load will go in the welded angle.  If and when that fails, 100% of the load will go to the bolted angle.  I do not believe you can figure both angles will be working simultaneously.

Good luck,

Jeff Coronado, S.E.

West Covina, CA