RE: APPENDIX D - ANCHORING TO CONCRETE

As Jake pointed out, equation D-5 does not account for reinforcing in the
pedestal (see section RD.4.2.1).  Thus, equation D-5 is assuming that the
concrete takes ALL the load.  It does this by way of a failure cone that
is defined by a projected area using a 35 deg angle from the anchor head.

Thus, the "glitch" that you found makes perfect sense to me (unless I am
missing something).

Take the case of a single anchor for simplicity sake.  If the anchor is
not anywhere near the edges, then An will equal An0 and thus the ratio
will be 1.  As you start to deal with edges such than c1 or c2 (edge
distances) are less than 1.5hef, then An will decrease while An0 stays the
same, resulting in the ratio of An/An0 becoming less than 1.  This makes
sense to me as in effect you are now truncating the failure cone, which
means less concrete will be "effective" in resisting the tension force.
Thus, the "anchor capacity" will decrease (assuming that it is controlled
by the concrete rather than the steel).

This is also true for a group of anchors, except to begin with the An/An0
ratio will be slightly larger than 1.  Again, start with edge distances
not being a factor.  To begin with then, An will be larger than
An0 as An includes the area between the anchors (i.e. it is not quite
n*An0 where n is the # of anchors, but is still larger than An0=9*hef^2).
But, as edge distances start to effect things, then again An will become
less than An0.

And, the An/An0 ratio actually over powers the Nb term as the effective
depth increases.  This is because the An0 term increases as a function of
hef^2 while the Nb term increases as a function of hef^1.5 (or hef^5/3).
Thus, equation D-5 will decrease as hef increases IF EDGE DISTANCES EFFECT
THINGS as you end up with hef^1.5/hef^2 or hef^.5.  Note: this comments
does not explore the effects caused by the three modification factors in
sections D.5.2.4 through D.5.2.6 with at least two of those factors
effected by hef).

If, however, edge distances DON'T effect things, then equation D-5 will
increase (as makes sense) as the An/An0 ratio will essentially be 1 or
maybe slighty larger than 1.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI