From: Zachary Goswick
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 4:22 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: double angle conn

The angle that is bolted to the girder has more rotational stiffness
associated with it because it has clamping action between the bolt and
the tip of the bolted angle leg.  It will therefore attract more load
than the welded side.  I would approach this by proportioning the load
based on the siffness of each condition.  Bolted connections are
approximated as a member with fixed-fixed end conditions spanning
between the bolts.  This allows less rotation than welded connections,
which are approximated to have pinned-pinned end conditions.  You have
something of a fixed-pinned end condition.  Each angle will not recieve
half of the beam reaction.  I would run through the calc to see if it is
still safe.

Zachary C. Goswick, P.E.