Re: I-CODES in california

David,

This subject has been kicked around a few times on this list over the last year or so.  I suggest you go to the SEAOC home page and drill down to the list archives.  Once there, you can word search through the entire database.  It works pretty good and is reasonably fast.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"David Merrick" <mrkgp(--nospam--at)winfirst.com>

07/14/2003 01:54 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

"SEAINT" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
I-CODES in california

Sara C. Yerkes, Vice President of Public Policy, International Code Council,
of Virginia has emailed me in Sacramento, California to alert me to the
Sacramento California Building Standards Commission (CBSC) meeting July 16.

We are to show CBSC that the I-Code set is the right choice for ALL the
People of California.

Is there an overwhelming public support for the I-Codes in California? Last
time I posted a similar subject the only response was from ICC. My
impression was that there was no California support or maybe no interest.

Code Change Committee voted against the IBC and IRC. If they are against
adopting the IBC, then I am more likely to believe in their judgement.

What is the official position of SEAOC for having the IBC adopted?

Are there reasons to not support the IBC? It seems that my IBC set, yet
used, is already out of date with discovered errors. Much like what happens
to any code, in time.

On the surface it would seem like a money saver to not change the code,
freely publish the code on the Internet, and make specific changes when such
changes will prevent hazardous conditions or substantially save in design
and construction costs. Publish the changes on the Internet, always having a
complete and to-date version of the code freely available on the Internet.

Copyright is not applicable to adopted Codes because when a law, it is a
fact. Jurisdictions can freely publish adopted codes on the Internet.

*******The following is what I had received.**********

THE MOST IMPORTANT CBSC MEETING IS WEDNESDAY, JULY 16

Attend the California Building Standards Commission meeting on July 16 to
voice your support for the adoption of the IBC and IRC.

An enormous show of support will prove to the CBSC that the I-Codes are the
right choice for ALL the People of California.

Despite the overwhelming public support for the I-Codes, the Code Change
Committee voted against the IBC and IRC. This may be the LAST CHANCE to
demonstrate your support for the I-Codes in California.

VOICE YOUR SUPPORT FOR THE I-CODES IN PERSON

The California Building Standards Commission meets:
10:00 a.m. Wednesday, July 16
400 P Street - CalPERS Auditorium
Sacramento, CA 95814

If you can't attend, voice your support for the IBC and IRC to the CBSC by
going to:

http://congressweb.com/icc/july16

Thank you,

Sara C. Yerkes