Re: I-CODES in california

David,

It is my understanding that SEAOC (and SEAOC Seismology) along with many
other professional groups supported the adoption of the 2000 IBC within
California during the last cycle, but the state government elected not to
follow such recommendations and stuck with the 1997 UBC.  Supposedly, this
was because some politically stronger groups (i.e. supposedly plumbers
unions) wanted to wait for the forthcoming NFPA 5000 code.

As far as an adopted model building code being able to be free published
on the web, that is still to be determined.  That issue is being litigated
in the court case in Texas (has been mentioned on the list several times).
The first round of the case apparently went in favor of having such a code
being freely available, but I believe that it being appealled.  Thus,
whether or not it is legal to post model codes that have been adopted by
jurisdictions remains to be seen.  Personally, I would be careful what you
wish for in that regards.  While it would be nice to have something be
"free", but more than likely it will not end up being free...we will just
pay for it in other ways.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI