From: George A. Kelley [mailto:gakelley(--nospam--at)mindspring.com]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 10:27 PM
To: SEAINT LIST
Subject: Passive Replacement of Structural Engineer

I have a question that I would like to get other opinions on.  I am
working as the structural engineer of record on a steel framed
commercial building for an architect that is acting together with a
silent construction contractor and financier as a design build team.  I
am independent of the design build architectural/construction team and
was given the project on a fixed fee proposal. basis.  Now that
construction is underway and the schedule has been accelerated, the
typical scenario of solving field mistakes and answering field question
immediately has begun and I have discovered that the architect has
involved another independent structural engineer in the process (based
on his assumption that I might not respond quick enough to the field
needs).  I have never failed to respond to field question and problem
within 1 business day and  I would just like to know what some
reasonable response to this type action might be.
Thanks

George A. Kelley, P.E.
STRUCTURAL CONCEPTS
770-594-9162