From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 4:31 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: OSB sheathing exposed to weather

Dennis,

I believe that there was an article in "Professional Roofing," the magazine
of the National Roofing Contractors Association, a year or so ago on
moisture
effects on OSB.  I'm guessing at their web site as: www.nrca.org.

Even in this dry climate (Arizona), a number of home builders are putting
plywood around the perimeter at roof overhangs where the underside will only

be exposed to humidity (what we have of it).  The rest of the roof is
sheathed with OSB.  I think that in and of itself speaks volumes about the
effect of moisture on OSB.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Aridzona

Dennis Shoup wrote:

. > The construction progress of one of our wood framing projects in
Southern
. > California has been stopped for over 2 years. Recently it started again,

. > the framing had been completed and left exposed for over two years.

. > Though visually the OSB boards look fine with no swells or
delaminations,
. > there are rust stains from nail heads. Does anyone feel there should be
. > concerns
. > over the integrity of the unprotected framing from the environment (2
. > blocks from the ocean), particularly the exterior OSB sheathings rust
. > stains?

. > Dennis Shoup