Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: When is an Architect or Engineer Required?

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Sounds like Texas provisions are similar to California.  In California, the exemption language from the Business & Professions Code is:

6737.1. Structure exemption 
(a) This chapter does not prohibit any person from preparing plans, drawings, or specifications for any of the following: 
			(1) Single-family dwellings of woodframe construction not more than two stories and basement in height. 
	      (2) Multiple dwellings containing no more than four dwelling units of woodframe construction not more than two stories and basement in height. However, this paragraph shall not be construed as allowing an unlicensed person to design multiple clusters of up to four dwelling units each to form apartment or condominium complexes where the total exceeds four units on any lawfully divided lot. 
			(3) Garages or other structures appurtenant to buildings described under subdivision (a), of woodframe construction not more than two stories and basement in height. 
			(4) Agricultural and ranch buildings of woodframe construction, unless the building official having jurisdiction deems that an undue risk to the public health, safety or welfare is involved. 
(b) If any portion of any structure exempted by this section deviates from substantial compliance with conventional framing requirements for woodframe construction found in the most recent edition of Title 24 of the California Administrative Code or tables of limitation for woodframe construction, as defined by the applicable building code duly adopted by the local jurisdiction or the state, the building official having jurisdiction shall require the preparation of plans, drawings, specifications, or calculations for that portion by, or under the direct supervision of, a licensed architect or registered engineer. The documents for that portion shall bear the stamp and signature of the licensee who is responsible for their preparation. 

If the number of units is as you described, it appears that an engineer would be required in California.

BTW, how is the snake doing?

Bill Cain SE
Oakland CA

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
*   site at:
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********