RE: REFERENCE TO HSS MOMENT CONNECTION

Bill:

I believe what Ben was trying to point out is that there are no
pre-approved HSS moment connections.  The only connections that have been
tested and pre-approved for use (i.e. requiring no further testing on your
part prior to use) are wide flange beam to wide flange column full moment
connections (of certain sizes).

You can still use ANY type of connection (at least to my knowledge) of
any type of steel members (HSS, WF, etc) BUT you have to have them tested
before they are permitted for use.  This is also true for WF beam to WF
column connections that have members that do not include the WF sizes used
in pre-approved/tested connections (i.e. for example, "deep" WF columns
have not been pre-approved so you are limited to 10x10, 12x12, and 14x14
nominal WF columns, etc).

Thus, if you want to use a HSS to HSS moment connection, then you will
need to have the connection tested to determine if it meets the minimum
requirements for the connection type that you want to use (i.e. ordinary,
intermediate, or special moment frames).  These requirements include
things like minimum ductility requiremenst and rotation limits (if I
recall correctly).

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI