REFERENCE TO HSS MOMENT CONNECTION

dnae(--nospam--at)cox.net wrote:

"Hi=20
I need reference in the code or AISC or FEMA  for HSS
moment connection normally it shows full penetration
all around the walls=20 is there reference to support
that to acceptable

Thanks
Dave"

Dave,
you're asking maybe 15,000 structural engineers to
read and consider your question.  Don't you think it's
worth the extra 30 seconds to put in some puncuation
and re-read the thing to see if it makes sense?

And as long as I'm on a rant, I personally consider it
polite to note where you're writing from.  It helps
everyone understand what climatic conditions may
apply, and what Code you're working under.  It also
helps judgmental jerks like me to distinguish a good
effort in ESL, from someone who speaks English but
just doesn't want to take the time.

In answer to your question, moment connections in HSS
are not simple things.  If you need full moment
capacity, you may have a difficult time getting it,
with or without the full-pen weld all around.  The
best resources I know of are AISC's HSS Connections
Manual, and Packer and Henderson's book (published by
CISC).

Mike Hemstad, P.E., S.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota