From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 8:18 PM
To: Wood(--nospam--at)structuralist.net; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Details, Struts, Thrust, Etc.

"Dumb Question" Time.

(FWIW, I once again posit my definition of a "Dumb Question": A question to which everyone PRETENDS that everyone knows the answer, but each one's answer is most likely different from everyone else's, no one is really in agreement as to the "correct answer," and the collective ignorance is perpetuated because no one wants to be heard actually asking the question).

Anyhow...

You have a house with a hipped roof. The house has an "ell" or two coming off the "main" part of the structure, and the roof heights are different because the slopes are the same, but the widths of each part of the building (in plan) are different.

I cannot figure out how to get such a configuration to "work" without a post at each end of the ridge beam. It just doesn't compute for me, especially when the pitch is rather shallow (30 deg. or less).

So, convince me that the thing doesn't collapse into the hallway of the main house.