Re: REFERENCE TO HSS MOMENT CONNECTION

If you're in SDC A, B, or C, (roughly coincides with UBC zones 0,1, 2A and
2B) you can use R, system overstrength, and deflection amplification values
of 3 and not have any specific seismic detailing.  Any moment connection is
theoretically allowed.

This is allowed in the 2000 and later IBC, the 1998 and later ASCE-7, and
the 1997 and later NEHRP.

For those areas still using the 1997 UBC, you're back to the argument of do
you use the latest research information, or the more conservative current
building code?

As for a generic moment connection (to resist wind or gravity loads, for
example), the only reference I have in my office is the "Hollow Structural
Sections - Connections Manual" by AISC.  Although it mainly addresses WF
beam to HSS column and truss web-to-chord connections, many of the
connections it details (with design examples) can be easily extrapolated to
an HSS-to-HSS connection.  There are even several bolted connections.

----
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.
jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com