Coordination with other trades

I am finding it more and more difficult to get reliable and accurate information from some sub-contractors (suppliers) in the design stage. I suspect that since they don't yet have a contract, they don't want to spend the time ($) it takes to give us reliable answers.

After the project goes out for bid and they are awarded their portion of the contract and their engineering is complete, they sometimes have additional requirements that they did not present to us in the design phase. Many times Owners do not want to pay for this additional work, especially in a design build situation where they were presented with a guaranteed price.

How do others deal with this situation? I have suggested to project managers that they include an allowance in the bid to cover the cost of these types of items, but generally they don't like doing that. Any other ideas?

Jim K.