Re: Coordination with other trades

James,

        This is a perennial problem.  The solution, if there is one, probably depends on what your role in the project is.

        In my last employed position, about 20 years ago, I worked for an EPC (engineering, procurement, construction) contractor.  Our solution to this problem was "If you won't give us a firm price when we're bidding the job we won't put you on the suppliers list later."  This is a good tactic; but it only works if you have control of the suppliers list.

        If you're an independent consultant and you work on something like government projects where the lowest price gets the job regardless of your wishes you're out of luck.  The best you can do is copy your client with all of your requests for information so that it is well documented with your client that you requested information and it was not forthcoming.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson