RE: Coordination with other trades

Are you issuing contract documents prior to contracts?  Is there any way you
can force the sub to comply with your original assumptions?  Can it be
called a change order?  We have a statement in contract documents (usually
design-bid) which states that options are for the contractor's convenience.
It is their responsibility to compensate the owner if any design changes are
necessary to make another option work.

Maybe I am missing the point, I know sometimes you don't have a choice but
to change your design.  But if the sub is changing the design intent to make
their life easier, you have a choice to change your design or reject their
request (easier said than done).  The sub should have to comply with the
contract documents.  If they can build it cheaper for them, but more
expensive for other trades, it may not be the cheapest for the owner.

A good example is PEMB's.  Fixed base columns usually result in cheaper
frames, but more expensive foundations.  You can't give both subs the
cheapest design and almost never have reactions before the job goes to bid.

A much better solution is to get the sub on board before documents go out.
Then as a team you can design the most economical design.  Inform people
that if they are not on board, you may have to do a redesign which will cost
everyone money and more importantly TIME!  Again, not always possible.  But
if you inform your client about this before hand and they ignore you, you
will have a good case for a change order.

Best of luck,

Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT

P.S. Its incredible to me that owners and clients expect to give us 1/2 the
information and get a full answer.