RE: REFERENCE TO HSS MOMENT CONNECTION

Scott-

I don't think you're correct in your assumption with regards to testing.
Not EVERYTHING has to be tested. I think it depends on things like
Applicable Building Code, etc. Yes, where the 200x AISC Seismic
Provisions have been adopted as "law", WFs need to either be
pre-approved (FEMA 350), proprietary or tested. Of course, testing for
an individual small project is not realistic. For example, I'm sure I
could design for R=1 and not have to test anything. Maybe design for R=3
and just use structural mechanics as someone else has mentioned. Makes
sense to me.

And, while I'm at it, yes I'm aware of ductility requirements, etc.
except that they are different for SMRFs and OMFs.

If you have a specific code section you would like to quote (rather than
vague philosophy), please continue.

I scanned the archives and saw a post from Rick Drake who mentioned a
limitation of b/t for HSS sections that seem (at least according to him)
to be highly restrictive. However, in my applications, the load is low
and TS6x6x3/8" would be O.K. These sections meet the b/t requirements.

Also keep in mind that, here in LA LA land (where earthquakes are
reality, not academic), we have over 90 building departments, some
subscribing to the LARUCP (Los Angeles Regional Code Program) but most
not and, most certainly, every one of them interpreting our shameful,
antequated Applicable Building Code (2001 UBC which looks an awful lot
like the 1997 UBC).

And, puleese don't school me on FEMA 350, etc. either. I've been to the
seminars, worked the examples, set up standards, designed REAL projects,
submitted them to building departments, received building department
approvals, and then subjected them to the poor steel fabricators who are
convinced that I am personally trying to drive them out of business. I
am not in academia.

The purpose of FEMA 350 is to provide some pre-approved solutions to the
problems with welded FLANGES of WF sections in moment connects used in
HIGH SEISMIC REGIONS. I'm not sure what performance problems TS frames
have experienced nor have I spent a lot of time (like none) reviewing
the HSS design manual, so I am admittedly weak here. I just thought
lightly loaded tube frames could skirt the FEMA problem here in
applications where cantilever columns are not practical (for whatever
reason).

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA