Re: Is it frame or not

I think that the important difference between the two cantilever column
system and a frame is that the cantilever columns have the potential to
either oscillate strongly elastically under strong shaking, or yield at the
base [yielding in a column is not desirable -- it could lead to excessive
displacement and collapse].

In a moment frame, yielding of the beam will protect the columns by limiting
the lateral load that the columns will experience.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net