From: David Topete [mailto:davetopete(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 11:11 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Hip Roof Construction

Would cantilevering the ridge beam ends to pickup the hips work?  It would work (obviously...).  Another option is introducing a steel bent supported at the exterior walls.  Eliminates the posts...  Maybe, the query is a little unclear...

David Topete, PE
Walnut Creek, CA

Bill Polhemus <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc> wrote:
"Dumb Question" Time.

(FWIW, I once again posit my definition of a "Dumb Question": A question to
which everyone PRETENDS that everyone knows the answer, but each one's
answer is most likely different from everyone else's, no one is really in
agreement as to the "correct answer," and the collective ignorance is
perpetuated because no one wants to be heard actually asking the question).

Anyhow...

You have a house with a hipped roof. The house has an "ell" or two coming
off the "main" part of the structure, and the roof heights are different
because the slopes are the same, but the widths of each part of the building
(in plan) are different.

I cannot figure out how to get such a configuration to "work" without a post
at each end of the ridge beam. It just doesn't compute for me, especially
when the pitch is rather shallow (30 deg. or less).

So, convince me that the thing doesn't collapse into the hallway of the main
house.

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org

Do you Yahoo!?