Re: Details, Struts, Thrust, Etc.

> I'll acknowledge that, when we are looking at wonderful old buildings, we
> are seeing only the survivors.  The builders of the survivors learned from
> the failures we don't get to see.

Here here!!

I was going to post something along these lines, but you beat me to it.

My most hated question when I was doing regular construction inspection work
was "Why do you need to inspect everything?  There are 100 year old
buildings still standing that never had an inspector any where near them."

It took me a while, but I finally came up with an excellent answer:  "For
every single 100 year old building that was constructed by true craftsmen
and is still standing, there were 1,000 buildings constructed by the low-bid
contractor that fell down or were demolished because of failures.  I believe
you were the low-bid contractor for this job."

And yes, I know the numbers are probably a huge exaggeration, but it usually
shut them up.

----
Jason W. Kilgore, PE, SE
Project Engineer