Re: Plan Stamping

> If by plan-stamping, you mean applying your stamp to plans done by
> another engineer who was not operating under your direct supervision,
> it's definitely illegal in Florida and Minnesota and can cost you your
> license. You can take that to the bank.
>
> If by plan-stamping you mean taking over the work of another engineer
> after verifying all the background calculation and design bases, Florida
> has rules for doing it, and I think it's possible in Minnesota, although
> there aren't specific rules.

I guess I should clarify my statement.

I've always understood "plan-stamping" as one engineer putting his stamp and
signature on the drawings / specifications / calculations prepared by
another engineer  NOT registered in the state in question (or not registered
at all) and NOT under his/her direct supervision.  As written in Kansas and
Illinois laws, this is legal.  This means that the licensed engineer has
thoroughly reviewed the drawings, specifications and calculations,
completely understands them and takes full professional responsibility for
them.  In both states, the plans have to originally be prepared by an
engineer licensed *somewhere*.  As written in Missouri and Indiana law, this
is NOT legal.

I see this as different from taking a project over for another engineer.  I
had a project some time ago where the engineer "punted" several days before
the project was due because he was not familiar enough with the design
material.  He could do basic stuff, but the architect wanted to do strange
things.  I used his calculations and plans as a starting point, but then
generated my *own* calculations and plans, which I sealed.

----
Jason W. Kilgore, PE, SE
Project Engineer
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.