Wind question

John,

I think that it is a matter of what you are designing, and not necessarily
wind.  But, discussing wind first, if wind enters a building and creates an
internal pressure, the pressure is going to exist on both sides of an
interior partition (unless the partition is directly in line with where the
wind enters the building).

However, if you have a building with high-speed elevators, the elevator
shafts certainly can be subject to pressures greater than 5 psf.

But, in any building, you are going to have people leaning against walls.  I
recall when I was a student, we had a class in one of the older buildings on
campus.  The first time I leaned against a hallway wall, I thought it was
going to collapse.  But as engineering students are wont to be, we soon found
out that if we leaned against the wall cyclically, we could get a wave going
down the length of the hallway.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

John Nader wrote:

. > Does any one design interior walls using the interior pressures or only
. > what required by local codes?

. > John.