RE: "Water in the Hole"

Typically when placing piers in this kind of condition, the contractors
around here (Northern California) pump the shaft full of drill mud to
mitigate caving, water intrusion etc. problems, then place a tremie at the
bottom of the shaft and pump away.  The drill mud floats on the wet concrete
and is collected as it puddles up at the surface. There is, I suppose, a
small amount of mixing of the mud and the concrete.

Water intrusion problems aside, I would consider a drop of more than 6' to
be unacceptable due to the definite possibility of segregation and lack of
consolidation in the concrete, not to mention the problems you noted below.

What logic did the geotech use to determine that an extra three feet was
enough to replace the bell (assuming the bell is now worthless) and deal
with the water problem?  It would seem that the onus is on the geotech to
explain their actions and/or pay for the delay.
Was the water table elevation identified in the report and at what elevation
has it been discovered at?
When you say geotech, was it the actual engineer who signed the report or
was it a field technician?
How long are the piers?
How fast can the concrete supplier get a pump truck and a tremie to the job
site?

Nick Blackburn, PE