Re: FRP - Temp Reinf.

Gail is right on target.  ACI 318 _DOES NOT_ apply to the use of FRP.  The
section that Gail was refering to in chapter 1 is section 1.4.  It allows
the uses of other materials in combinations with rational methods that the
EOR must prove works to the building official or "board of examiners
appointed by the building official".

The one thing that I will differ a little on is that you don't need to
prove that it mets the requirements of ACI 318, but rather just prove that
there is a rational method and analysis that shows that proposed system
provides a comprable level of safety.  This is because by default
something like FRP reinforcing can _NEVER_ comply with the requirements of
the ACI 318 code (until FRP is included in 318) except in the most broad
terms (i.e. level of safety).

To my knowledge, ACI committee 440 is still working on provisions and
theory for FRP reinforced concrete that will satisfy ACI committee 318
enough to get them to include FRP reinforced concrete in the 318 code (and
thus, maybe eventually into the 350, 349 and 359 codes).

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI