RE: "Water in the Hole"

Bill,

What gets me about the situation is that you are the engineer of record.  What authority does the geotech have to change your design without your approval?  Aren't unforseen conditions supposed to be reported to the EOR for resolution?  Aren't you ultimately responsible for the safety of the building?

I had a similar problem with some retaining wall footings ecountering water in the excavation.  Contractor called up the geotech who instructed him to just excavate a little deeper and fill with gravel.  I was the last one to know!
Also, I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.  Has the state of Texas _not_ adopted a statewide building code?  I not, how did they rationalize that decision?

Tripp Howard, P.E.

Tripp Howard

Do you Yahoo!?