Re: Weight of Soil

Jason,

        100 pcf is plenty if it's dry but you might want to use 125 pcf if it's
totally soaked.  If you want, you can calculate this for a variety of dry soil
densities as follows:

                Relative density of most soil solids = (+-)2.7  Some organic
soils may be lighter; but this may, in fact, only be because they have a higher
void ratio.  Besides, even if they are lighter it may be necessary to add stones
or other weight to keep the wind from overturning the pots.

                Void ratio = e

                Assumed weight of dry soil = 100 pcf

                Dry weight = 2.7*62.4*(1-e) = 100 pcf

                Weight of water = e*62.4

        Don't forget to allow something for the "growth" above the soil.  Over
time this might get quite heavy.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson